Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Day Five - Wednesday Morning - September 17th, 2014

This morning we are back at Antioch Church to finish our Bible Question Method of Bible Study.   I need to find a shorter title for that .... Any ideas? 

Before we started the served Breakfast.  They served in if my favorites - la-haldra.  It is a cross between a sapodilla and flat bread.  I had this on my first mission trip to the Kuna Islands years ago - fresh out of the pan and look forward to it every time I am with Kuna.   They are awesome!!!  Served today with scrambled eggs with baloney.   


And SBUX coffee - (SBUX Via packets and raw sugar!   Thanks Pattie - the manager from SBUX across from San Jac - for hooking me up!   If you see here before I get back - show this to her!   Thanks for the prayers too Pattie!). You know I couldn't make it without my SBUX!!!


Before class even started one of the men of the church brought me his Bible study worksheet.   His name is Lombardo - he is the husband of Nana - the lady that was sick we prayed for after services Sunday Morning.

He was excited!   He had work through the passage himself.  The passage of scripture we gave them to work on was Philippians 4:4-8.    The pastor will work though that with them this morning.   


Here is the pastor as he is working with the class breaking apart the passage in Philippians.  


What is unique today is that this is being done both in Spanish and Kuna.  I have no idea what all is being said.   I just nod and laugh when they do!   Grin. 

This really is my favorite time of the workshops.  They take the methodology and make it their own.   The pastor leads - the people discuss - I just sit and grin and God is honored!   




The next passage they worked through was Colossians 3:12-17.   God tells us that when we follow Him, our lives will be characterized by compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.   We won't give up on each when we screw up - we will forgive each other because God forgave you.  Over all if this - display, practice, share love - it binds you together as one.   When you act this way - God's peace will rule your life, your family, your church.    Center everything in Gods Words - teach it -lovingly correct one another with it - sing it with thanksgiving to God!   Let everything you do bring honor and glory to Him.

While I've been on this trip I've finished reading a book entitled, "Why No One Wants to be Around Christians Anymore."   Honestly, it could boil down to this - as professed followers of Jesus,  we don't act, live, conduct ourselves or our churches like Colossians 3:12-17 commands us to!   

At times I have found myself acting exactly the opposite of what this passage teaches.  I've been mean spirited, judgmental and a self-righteous jerk who took great satisfaction in pointing out the faults and failings of others.  It made me feel better because inwardly I knew I was failing miserably to really serve God.

This passage describes how Jesus acted - and people were drawn to Him.   When those who claim to follow Jesus don't act this way - it repulses people. 

Here is Pastor Arcesio Slaeer - he is pastor of La Pas and has been my interpreter all week.   He gets me where I need to be and has been a good help all week long.

Here he is teaching/working through the Colossians passage in the last part of the morning session.  


Tonight I will preach one last time at La Pas then travel to Panama City to catch a flight back home tomorrow.  Please continue to pray - your prayers and encouraging words have and are making a tremendous difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment